Tuesday, July 3, 2012

why we work


credit pix - insideadinashead.blogspot.com

I don't know you, but to me, work gives me a sense of belonging. a sense of being part of an organization, contributing to the growth of that organization. maybe what i am doing right now does not have that much impact on the company i work for (BS, every single thing i do indirectly impacts the company and previous companies i worked for) but it feels good to leave the house early morning, towards a destination which I know i work and efforts are much appreciated (well, they better be or else).

But i guess working is not merely about earning those moolahs. it's about learning, self-developing, building work relationship but most importantly, gaining that experience.

I've worked at many places. and i mean MANY... despite doing the same thing (which at that time was corporate comms) the industry was different and i learned alot along the way. i know how to asses characters, how to adapt in different environment, how to deal with difficult bosses (my previous one was a bloody a**h**** mind you) but he taught me that sometimes, one just need to be tough to get one's message across.

Working also is a humbling experience on its own. i can relate that very well to the field i was in. dealing with smart alecs, sneaky characters, extremely smart but arrogant people. the list goes on and on. but it actually developed me as a person. throughout the years i have learned the tricks and the trades of the industry (well maybe) enough to assure myself that no, this people can't just bull their way around me. i have had experiences dealing with difficult and lazy subordinates (and useless colleagues too) and i have pretty much nail down the art of good decision making and handling extremely difficult situations if need be (more than once i have had to clean other people's mess' and been put on a spot).

All this eventually makes me a better, more calming but quick to think person.

I guess working in itself isn't too bad.

Maybe I do love working after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment