Sunday, February 19, 2012

IN LOVING MEMORY...

I did my A-levels right after my SPM. It was what dad thought as fitting, as he was opposed to me taking up a part time job to fill time while waiting for my exam results. And at that point of time, i was pretty confident that i have found my calling, and that i was adamant that i would become a lawyer. the idea of reading pages after pages of law cases was pretty  intriguing at that time.

so dad decided that i should try a term at college. and if i still had the drive to continue and pursue law, i would stay on and just plough through.

the reality of a-levels law? it was perhaps damn-dest of all uk pre-degree programme ever offered. i practically saw my future turned into rubbles. my one term of law notes was equivalent to a semester's worth. missing a class means you'd prolly have to re-read for the next 3 days just to catch up ( i may be exaggerating, either that or i'm just such a noob at the subject). but it did alter my whole perspective of doing law and when i got offered to do mass communication, i jumped at the very thought of doing something that would require me to do... lots of writing. awesome!!! but it also meant me leaving college and my newly found friends behind. one of them in particular was Quelista, or better known as Ellie.

You know how you developed a best friend in school, or at work? well, that was who Ellie was to me back in college. it was a very short friendship, for she stayed on and her parents plans since the beginning was to have her finish her A-Levels law (which she also wanted to do to) and go to Notts (that's university of nottingham by the way) for her degree.

Ellie was someone whom I think every parents would want their daughter to emulate. She was a very wholesome sort of person. Pretty (she's of mixed parentage - mom malay and dad chinese), an excellent pianist, did very well in school, sweet, soft-spoken, fun... everyone loved her. me included. i think amongst our classmates, she was the one with the most beautiful handwriting. it was very romantic. all cursive and neat. i insisted to write in that handwriting style too, only that mine ended up bigger, and worst  :)

after a term of giving A-levels law a try, and after i got my exam results and was offered to do mass comm at a local Uni (I went to UiTM by the way) I decided to abandon all plans of continuing doing law. so it was bye2 to Ellie but we still kept in touch and would be calling each other when one has free time, even planning to meet, just to catch up. but it never happened (the meet that is) because either one of us would suddenly have some  last minute engagement or the other. and somehow along the way, when we both started to get real busy, we just stopped being in contact. you know how someone sometimes just drifted away? i think the same thing happened to us.

when i joined facebook in 2007, amongst the first thing i did was to look up for Ellie to add to my list of friends. I couldn't find her. thought that she's probably not into fb yet. bumped into old college friends and they too weren't quite sure what happened to her. we all knew that she flew to the UK as planned. but she probably did not pursue law after all. but no one actually knew her whereabouts.

of course the years passed by and once a while the very thought of Ellie would cross my mind. but i figured that she would prolly have been married and with kids. and living a good life whether abroad or here. but i was still curious and wanted to be in touch again so i decided to do what we all tend to do these days...I googled...

i did that exact thing, and after a few scrolls i found a blog link about her. knowing her full name, my guess was it should be her. and i was right. the blog belongs to her cousin and thats when i knew what exactly happened to Ellie.

Ellie passed away of cancer in May 2003, at age 22. She passed away roughly 4 years since we last kept in touch. she passed away 8 years ago and i was 8 years too late to know. she passed away not knowing that I got married to my high-school sweetheart, and that i now have a 5 year old boy whom i
would have loved her to meet. despite all this,  Ellie will always have that special place in my heart, and i will forever treasure the friendship we had. Semoga Allah sentiasa mencucuri rohnya... Al-Fatihah...

No comments:

Post a Comment